Friday, December 11, 2009

Inferiority Complex

At some time in your life you made a decision to feel inferior to others. In the majority of cases most people develop inferiority complexes at a very young age. Maybe you were not very good at sports, school, singing, etc. The major problem with developing these complexes at such a young age is, that it can interfere with the development of your abilities as you grow. In some more severe cases people develop the “who cares attitude”. They give up trying to do things, when the going gets a little tuff.

I threw the discus in the 9th grade, and was reasonably successful at it. I got recognition, and had a lot of fun. I won most of my meets, and was ranked #4 in the state.

While warming up for the State Discus Finals, I was watching other athletes throw. At that instance, I decided that I could not win, and probably not place in the top 5. I convinced myself that I was inferior to these other athletes.

I relayed this message to my subconscious mind, and it obliged me. I threw 10 feet less then I had been throwing all week, and ended up in 7th place. Why did I do this to myself? I had brought out an inferiority complex that already existed in my mind. I actually believed that I didn’t deserve to win.

Others can force inferiority complexes upon you. It can be a parent or coach that tells you that you’ll never amount to anything.
Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team, because his coach felt he didn’t have the ability to play Varsity basketball. This is a case where a person believed in himself, and his abilities. He chose not to develop an inferiority complex.

Once the inferiority complex is adopted by your subconscious mind, the game is on. At this point most people try to compensate for their feelings. They say things like “ I could of beat you on the 18th hole if the wind hadn’t blown my ball into the sand trap”. They don’t realize they have an inferiority complex. How can you fix something if you don’t know it is broken? The advantage of the golfer, who is aware of his complex, is that he may set up some plan or action to change it.

Other golfers will develop a habit of feeling superior. They have an outer armor that appears to be indestructible, but they are just putting forth a smoke screen to protect their inner fragile self.

Learn to accept your limitations, focus your goals on things that you can change. You have abilities that others do not. Build upon them day by day. Never accept your inferior complex as being unchangeable! Be honest with yourself, and keep looking for opportunities. Decide where you want your golf game to go and smash through all barriers that you encounter.

2 comments:

  1. I think most of us let this happen to ourselves or do it to ourselves. It's a very hard habit to break once it is started. Great info, thanks Dr. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    You are right! I still can't believe how bad thoughts can influence the body. Learn from my experiences. Ha! Ha!
    Take care,
    Dr. Bob Moulas

    ReplyDelete