Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Correct Position For A Car Headrest Is Even With The Head

Most people never bother to adjust the headrest. They just leave it the way it came when they bought the car.

The correct position for a headrest is even with the head and no more than two inches behind the center of the back of the head. If the headrest is too low (behind the neck), the force of an accident could bend the head back over the headrest, causing serious injury to the cervical (neck) area.

Occupants of a car should not recline their seats while the car is in motion because it increases the distance between the head and the restraint, and in addition, puts the occupant in a more hazardous position should an accident occur.

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Bob,
    That is true my car doesn't even have an adjustable headrest... That is very good to know though. Thanks Dr. Bob!

    -Troy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Bob,
    I never knew this and I too have never adjusted my head rest, until I read this. But now I have to convince my kids to leave the seat in a up right position when they drive with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troy,
    Get one if you can! Headrests are very important!! It has to be at the right level to be effective though.

    Thank you,

    Dr. Moulas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candy,
    Being educated in the right areas can save your life. You sound like a good mom!! Keep up the good work, and thanks for the comment.

    Healthfully Yours,

    Dr. Bob Moulas

    ReplyDelete